COVID-19 Court Information
The Provincial Court of Alberta
This page is continuously updated. New information contained in this page supersedes information in earlier announcements.
COVID-19 Measures — Updated June 9, 2021
Over the course of the pandemic we have noticed an increase in the number of applications for witnesses to appear remotely. Those applications, wherever possible, should be made 30 days in advance of the scheduled trial date.
- Traffic court, including Circuit Court locations, will reopen for trials only as of June 28, 2021.
- Circuit court dockets are continuing remotely; no personal attendance is allowed.
- Effective June 14, 2021 for Civil, Criminal, Youth Criminal, Family and Child Protection matters:
- All trials, preliminary inquiries and other hearings involving viva voce evidence will proceed as scheduled.
- All other proceedings including pre-trial processes, applications and dockets (including the Case Management Office) will continue as scheduled on a virtual basis only.
All safety measures will remain in place, including: masking requirements; plexiglass; physical distancing; and current COVID-19 courtroom capacity limits.
Detailed Court Resumption protocols have been established for each Court division and region, and are available at the links below.
Bar Admissions: In-person bar admissions are permitted up to the COVID-19 courtroom capacity limit.
Information in the pages below is updated constantly.
COVID-19 Safety Measures
Strict health and safety measures have been put in place in all locations for:
- physical distancing and monitoring of same;
- wearing of masks and other Personal Protection Equipment (PPE);
- modifying courtrooms and other spaces; and
- enhanced cleaning.
Do not come into a courthouse in person if you have been advised to self-isolate by public health officials, your doctor or the Alberta Health Services website; or you are self-isolating as a result of travel or contact with individuals with COVID-19.
The Provincial Court will continue to monitor the situation on an ongoing basis, and will provide updates regarding the staged reopening. We thank all stakeholders who have provided support and input during the development of the resumption plans.
Managing physical distancing and other health and safety protocols will take the effort and cooperation of all court users and we thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation.
Provincial Court Pandemic Plan - COVID19