COVID-19 Civil Matters
UPDATED OCTOBER 6, 2020
The following protocols apply to Civil Claims:
- There will be no presumptive adjournments of any civil matters.
- Matters scheduled after July 6 will proceed as scheduled.
- There may be in-person mediations, pre-trial conferences, trials and other applications as set out in the Civil Court Resumption Protocol. In Edmonton and Calgary, pretrial conferences and applications will be conducted in person. In areas outside of Edmonton and Calgary, pretrial conferences and applications will be conducted by telephone.
- See Regional Protocols below for specific instructions for your region.
In Edmonton and Calgary, in person filing at the civil counters will be accepted for urgent matters only. Drop boxes are to be used for non-urgent filing, however the 6 day waiting period has been eliminated. Documents placed in the drop boxes in Edmonton and Calgary will be processed as soon as reasonably possible.
The drop boxes are located at the entrances to the Calgary Court Centre and Edmonton Law Courts. Once the filing procedures have been completed, the documents may be picked up by lawyers/agents/runners and will be mailed out to self represented litigants. Please include a cheque in instances where there is a filing fee.
In areas other than Edmonton and Calgary, filing of documents regarding Provincial Court Civil matters will be accepted at the counters although drop boxes are also available in Red Dear and Wetaskiwin and their use is encouraged.
Mediations are being held as previously scheduled in both Edmonton and Calgary by telephone. WebEx or Zoom processes are being developed.
- All pretrial conferences which have been adjourned pursuant to the master COVID-19 order have been rescheduled. All pretrial conferences that had been scheduled for after July 3 are proceeding as scheduled.
- In person appearances commenced July 6, 2020, in Edmonton and Calgary. For matters scheduled in areas other than Edmonton and Calgary pre-trial conferences will be held by teleconference.
- Pre-trial conferences are being held in courtrooms in both Edmonton and Calgary. Conference rooms are not being utilized due to social distancing concerns.
- In person civil trials commenced across the province on July 6 2020. Social distancing, masks and sanitization protocols are enforced.
- Matters that have been scheduled for July 6 and after will proceed as scheduled.
- In person applications have been conducted after July 6 2020 in Edmonton and Calgary. Social distancing, masks and sanitization protocols are being enforced.
- Applications outside of Edmonton and Calgary will be held by teleconference.
- Staggered scheduling of in person applications may be implemented to avoid an influx of people at 9:30 or 1:30 each day.
We continue to encourage remote hearings where feasible whether by telephone or WebEx. Parties are to contact the local Court clerks to determine availability of WebEx for their matter, and to arrange scheduling.
Edmonton and Calgary Civil Division Hotlines
For scheduling concerns, please call the civil division hotlines. Those lines are:
- Edmonton: 780-422-2508
- Calgary: 403 297-7217 ** Number changed October 7
Provincial Court Pandemic Plan - COVID19
Master Order Relating to Court's Response to COVID-19