After the Appearance

View this flowchart for an overview of the civil claim process.

Certificate of Judgment

All parties will be sent a Certificate of Judgment. The person may pay you after receiving a copy of the Judgment. If not, there are a number of steps you may consider to enforce the judgment and collect payment.

Enforcement of Judgment

The procedures for enforcing your judgment through seizure or garnishment are described in Getting and Collecting Your Judgment in Alberta. Also, if your judgment was for a motor vehicle accident, you can contact Alberta Registries, Motor Vehicles to have the person's driver's licence suspended.

If You Are Ordered to Pay

You have two alternatives: pay whatever amount is ordered by the judgment or appeal the judge's decision. You may pay the amount of the Judgment directly to the successful party by cash, certified cheque, or money order. Make sure that you get a receipt.