Residential Tenancies Process

When a serious dispute arises between a landlord and tenant, there are options available to help the parties resolve the dispute.  Either the landlord or the tenant may apply to the court for a remedy available under the Residential Tenancies Act or the Mobile Home Sites Tenancies Act up to $50,000, subject to some restrictions.

In a rental agreement, both landlords and tenants have certain rights and obligations. In deciding whether a court application is appropriate, it is important to gain a good understanding of your obligations as well as the remedies available to you. Your local Residential Tenancy Board office and the provincial Service Alberta: Landlords & Tenants are two areas where you can obtain information on your rights and obligations. These two areas are excellent sources for you to become familiar with your rights and obligations.

If you need to seek a remedy allowed under the Residential Tenancies Act or the Mobile Home Sites Tenancies Act such as possession of a property, rental arrears, damage, rent abatement, or a writ of possession there are some different options available to you:

  • Canvass your local Tenancy Board as there may be some type of non-confrontational dispute resolution service available.
  • The Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service is a program operating in Edmonton and Calgary and their surrounding areas, and at locations North of Highway 16 with current expansion plans to include central Alberta. View the RTDRS website for a complete list.
    The Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service offers an alternative to the court process and is designed so landlords and tenants may resolve disputes more quickly, with less formality than the court process and at a lower cost. If you are interested in getting more information on this program visit their website at

  • Make a court application to either the Provincial Court of Alberta, or the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta.

Continue with the upcoming web pages if you decide to make a court application to the Provincial Court of Alberta.

»Flowchart of the Residential Tenancies Process »What should I do first? »Remedies under the Residential Tenancies Act »How do I start my application? »How do I file and serve? »I've been served with a Notice of Application »What happens at the hearing? »What happens after the decision? »Appeals