Family Self Help - Parenting, Custody, Guardianship, Access and Contact FAQs

Family Self Help - Child Support FAQs

  • How do I get paternity testing done? How much will it cost and who will pay?

  • How much child support will I have to pay?

  • Can I make my former spouse / partner provide proof that the support I pay is spent on the children?

  • I am not getting my child support. Do I still have to allow the other parent to see the children?

  • The Maintenance Enforcement Program is taking action against me. What can I do to stop it?

  • How do I register with the Maintenance Enforcement Program (MEP)?

  • Why do I have to give all my tax returns to the court? Can't they just get hold of the Canada Revenue Agency and get the information from them?

  • My former spouse / partner works under the table, so their income is much higher than what shows on their tax return. What will the judge do?

  • My former spouse / partner has a child, but I am not the biological parent. Do I still need to pay child support?

  • I was in a same sex relationship that has ended. Can I apply for child support from my former partner?

  • I am not a parent of the child but the child is living with me, can I apply for child support for the child?

  • My child is 18. Can I still apply for child support for him/her?

  • I am going to court to deal with child support. What documents do I need to provide to prove my income?

  • Which income amount will the court use to decide child support – an average of 3 years, the amount on my last year's tax return or my current income?

  • How can I stop child support now that my child is an adult?

  • My child is under the age of 18 but does not live with me or the other parent. Do I still have to pay the other parent child support?

  • I have a child support order from another province or country. Is it enforceable here?

  • Can I change a child support order which was granted in another province or country?

  • I can't afford my child support. What can I do?

  • I have been told that I have a "global" order for child support, what does this mean?

  • How does Maintenance Enforcement know how much to collect for special expenses?

Family Self Help - Spousal Support FAQs

Family Self Help - Protection From Family Violence FAQs

Family Self Help - Separation and Divorce FAQs

  • I just separated from my spouse. What do I need to do to make it legal?

  • What is the difference between a Separation Agreement and a Minutes of Settlement?

  • How do I get a separation agreement?

  • Are there courses for separating parents?

  • Do I have to go to the Parenting After Separation course?

  • What is the difference between an annulment and a divorce?

  • I was married outside of Canada. Can I get divorced in Canada?

  • I was divorced outside of Canada. Can I register my divorce with the court here?

  • Why do I have to get custody, access (parenting) and support settled before I can get a divorce?

  • What are the grounds for divorce?

  • What do I have to do to prove I am separated to get a divorce?

  • My spouse and I are still living in the same home but consider ourselves separated. Is it possible to be living in the same house with someone but be separated?

  • What do I have to do to prove adultery to get a divorce?

  • How much does a divorce cost?

  • How long does a divorce take?

  • I lived common law, but never married. Do I need a divorce?

  • What is the Central Divorce Registry?

  • Where can I get a copy of my Divorce Certificate?

Family Self Help - Dispute Resolution FAQs

  • What is mediation?

  • How can mediation help?

  • Is a mediation agreement binding?

  • How long does mediation take?

  • What does mediation cost?

  • How do I find a mediator?

  • What is arbitration?

  • What is a JDR (Judicial Dispute Resolution)?

  • What is collaborative family law?

  • What is a Parent Coordinator?

Family Self Help - The Court Process FAQs

  • What is the difference between the Provincial Court (Family Division) and the Court of Queen's Bench?

  • Which court should I use – the Court of Queen's Bench or the Provincial Court?

  • My court order is out of Edmonton but I live in Lethbridge. Do I have to go to Edmonton to make my court application?

  • Can I file papers for one court in another court location to be sent to that court?

  • I started an application and set up a court date and now I want to cancel it. How do I do that?

  • I have been served with notice of a court application and I'm not available on the court date. What do I do?

  • I want to apply for or change a court order but I have no idea where my former spouse / partner lives. Can I just do it anyway?

  • I am told I can serve by Recorded Mail. What does that mean?

  • What happens if I try to serve by Recorded Mail, and the other party won't pick up the mail, or someone else signs for the mail?

  • How do I find a process server?

  • What happens if I lie on my Affidavit or in court?

  • The judge made an order that referred only to a section number. What does it mean?

  • If I'm not happy with the court's decision, what can I do?

  • I missed my court date. What can I do?

  • What is CaseFlow?

  • What is Questioning?

  • What is an Examination for Discovery

  • What is a Cross Examination on Affidavit?

  • What is Case Management?

  • What does a lawyer or judge mean when they talk about costs?

  • Can I talk to a judge privately?

  • Can I write a letter to a judge to tell him what my former spouse / partner is doing?

  • How do I find the address for a court in another province?

Family Self Help - General FAQs