Spousal / Partner Support Variation

Some information about spousal and partner support is here. However, before making an application to change or terminate spousal support, you should talk to a lawyer.

What do I need to do before I start?

You must gather up your income and expense information. The paperwork that the court will want to see is:

  • Your complete tax return and Notice of Assessment for the past 3 years;
  • Your pay stubs or other proof of your income for this year; and
  • A list of all of your monthly expenses.
  • A list of all of your assets and debts.
  • A copy of the Order or Agreement that you want to change. If it is an Order, and was not made in Alberta, then you need to get a certified copy of the Order.
  • If the order that you want to change was not made in Alberta, you MUST have a certified copy of your Order. This will have a stamp on it and a signature from a court official saying the copy is a certified or true copy. A photocopy of the certified copy is not acceptable. Contact the court that made the order to find out how to get a certified copy. There may be a fee.
    Certified Stamp

Before you go to court, consider mediation.

If you want a lawyer to help you, information is here.

To help decide which court to file in, go here.

For this type of application, you must do the paperwork yourself. We can give you the forms and instructions.

Spousal / Partner Support Variation FAQs