Filing Fees and Payments into Court

What are the filing fees?

There are filing fees for some court documents, such as:

Document Description Fee
Civil Claim Claims up to and including $7,500
Claims over $7,500 up to and including $100,000
Dispute Note Not containing a Counterclaim $25
Dispute Note & Counterclaim Dispute Note with a Counterclaim valued at $7,500 or less
Dispute Note with a Counterclaim valued over $7,500
Dispute Note to Counterclaim   $25
Dispute Note to Third-Party Claim   $25
Third Party Claim   $50
Application For filing an application in the course of an action $50
Notice of Application under the Residential Tenancies Act or Mobile Home Sites Act Claims up to and including $7,500
Claims over $7,500 up to and including $100,000

What methods of payments are accepted for filing fees?

Filing fees can be paid by:

  • Cash
  • Personal or company cheque, money order or bank draft made payable to the “Government of Alberta”
  • Interac (Debit)

Court of Justice Civil will accept US Funds as payment, however there will be no exchange rate calculated and any change provided will be in Canadian currency. Bank drafts with Canadian currency are preferred.

What if I cannot afford to pay the filing fees?

You may apply to waive the filing fee if you can show that you cannot pay because of financial hardship. A waiver will be effective for a period of six (6) months.

To apply for a fee waiver you will need to show supporting financial documents. For information on the fee waiver process and the application form, visit the website Waiving a Filing Fee. For more information on procedures and locations near you, contact a Court of Justice Office

I want to pay money into court to settle an action or have been ordered by a Justice to pay money into court, what methods of payment are accepted?

If you are paying money into court to settle an action, or if a Justice has ordered that you pay money into court for costs, payments must be made by either cash, Interac (debit), certified cheque or money order made payable to the “Government of Alberta.”  

Are there any other expenses?

Yes. They may include costs for serving documents, witness allowances, and interpreters. For more information, refer to Before You Sue, Preparing For Court or contact a Court of Justice office.