Links, Videos and Legal Resources

Assistance With Court / Civil Claims Process

To assist you in determining the number of days for calculating interest on the Request for Default Judgment form use the time and date calculator.

Alberta Law Libraries – may be found in some Court locations; may provide printing and photocopying services (fee); may assist with legal research. Some Law Libraries may provide access to a computer.

Civil Claims Duty Counsel – located in the Courthouse in Edmonton and Calgary; lawyers give free, basic advice on Civil matters.  No appointments are necessary as they operate on a first come, first served basis.

In Edmonton, Civil Claims Duty Counsel is located on the 2nd floor outside of Courtroom 262, North Tower at the Edmonton Law Courts Building – 1A Sir Winston Churchill Square and are currently available as follows:

Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Subject to availability.
Duty Counsel may also available 12:00 p.m. to 4 p.m. on some Thursdays. Please contact the Clerk’s Office in Edmonton at 780-422-2508 to confirm availability before attending.

In Calgary, Civil Claims Duty Counsel is currently open and located on the 15th Floor, South Tower at the Calgary Courts Centre – 601-5th Street SW and are open as follows:

Monday from 12:30 p.m - 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday to Friday from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. and from 12:30 p.m. – 4 p.m.

Resolution and Court Administration Services Located in the Courthouses in Calgary, Edmonton, Red Deer, Grande Prairie, will provide assistance with Court forms and Court procedure. 

National Self-Represented Litigants Project – advice for self-represented litigants on preparing for Court, Court etiquette, tips from lawyers and judges. 

Courtroom Audiovisual Request Form - requests for special requirements such as hearing assistance, voice amplifiers, TV and video equipment must be made at least 30 days prior to the Court date.

Court Videos

Landlord & Tenant Information

Listed below are a few options to assist you in with Landlord  / Tenant matters. For more detailed information review the Residential Tenancies Process.

Residential Tenancy (Landlord and Tenant) Dispute Resolution Service - The Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service (RTDRS) offers landlords and tenants an alternative means of resolving disputes outside of Court. This service is designed to be faster, more informal and less expensive than the Courts. Disputes are heard by a Tenancy Dispute Officer who is authorized to make binding decisions on claims of up to $50,000.

Landlord and Tenant Advisory Board - In Alberta, there are Landlord and Tenant Advisory Boards in Edmonton and Fort McMurray that help to advise landlords and tenants in matters relating to a tenancy.

Service Alberta Consumer Tips Sheet for Landlord and Tenants.

Other Legal Resources & Information

Alberta Employment Standards - Legislation, resources, FAQs, and fact sheets about Alberta’s minimum standards for employers and employees. Employment Standards also administers the complaint process if you feel that there has been a violation of minimum employment standards.

Alberta Law Libraries ‘Ask a Law Librarian’ Service - In response to requests for legal information, librarians will direct you to appropriate sources of law and legal information; and refer you to other agencies available to help with questions about the law and legal advice.

Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Program – May provides assistance to victims of accidents where the owner / driver was not insured or is unknown.

Service Alberta - Contains information, FAQ’s, legislation and other resources about:

  • Consumer information and complaints including fraud and fair business/trade practices;
  • Landlord and Tenants;
  • Vital Statistics – births, deaths, marriages;
  • Motor Vehicles and Licensing;
  • Land Titles;
  • Alberta Registry Offices - Limited Demographic and Corporate Registry Searches

Order a courtroom transcript - How to order a Court of Justice or Court of King's Bench courtroom transcript.

Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB) If you are injured at work and have missed work and not been paid, WCB may be able to assist you.

Legal Advice / Legal Clinics

Civil Claims Duty Counsel Project – located in the courthouse in Edmonton and Calgary, lawyers give free, basic advice on Civil Claims matters.  No appointments are necessary as they operate on a first-come, first-served basis.

Lawyer Referral - This service allows you to consult a lawyer for 30 minutes at no charge. Toll free number 1-800-661-1095.

Legal Aid Society of Alberta – Free service to individuals wishing to find legal information, referrals and legal advice.  Toll free number 1-866-845-3425 (Edmonton direct 780-644-7777)



Other Locations

Links To Relevant Legislation Commonly Used In Court of Justice Civil

The links provided below are for common used legislation in Court of Justice Civil.  All relevant Acts or Regulations are listed, if you would like to research laws they can be found at Alberta King's Printer.