Judicial Complaints

If someone wishes to make a complaint about the conduct of a Provincial Court Judge or Justice of the Peace, he or she may make a complaint pursuant to the Provincial Court Act and the Judicature Act.  

Both the Chief Judge of the Provincial Court and the Judicial Council have the authority to review and inquire into complaints. They may also take any action considered necessary using the powers given under the Judicature Act, including options such as referral to judicial inquiry, reprimand, corrective measures, or no action.  

The judicial complaints process is not a court proceeding, and cannot be used to review a Judge's decision.  If someone believes the Judge reached the wrong decision in his or her court case, that person may be able to appeal the decision to a higher court.  He or she should consult a lawyer to discuss legal options.  

Complaints Process

Complaints must be in writing. The complaint should include the date, time and place of the court hearing, and as much detail as possible. Upon completion of the review process, the complainant will be advised of the outcome.

Written complaints to the Chief Judge or to the Judicial Council should be sent to:

Chief Judge
Provincial Court of Alberta
6th floor Law Courts North
1A Sir Winston Churchill Square
Edmonton, AB T5J 0R2